Forum

Feel free to introduce yourself and engage in a discussion.  (Press ‘Ctrl’ & ‘+’ to zoom page larger.)

Notifying next of kin  

RSS

Captain Hook
January 10, 2017 9:46 pm  

I did not know where else to post this.  I will be moving to the Philippines later this year.  I do not have an established social network there yet.  What I am trying to figure out is , If something where to happen,  which is always a possibility,  how would my next of kin learn about it?  I am aware of registering with the embassy, but they would need to be notified before they could do anything also.  Any wisdom or advice on the subject would be appreciated.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
The Emu
March 6, 2017 9:38 pm  

I am not sure how it works in the Philippines, but usually when a foreigner visits an overseas country, particularly in the case of a deceased person, they local authorities establish that persons identity and notify the relevant embassy, who then notify the domicile embassy and so on.

As for things like being laid up in hospital with a life-threatening condition - maybe, just maybe the hospital would contact the embassy on your behalf, but do not count on this - especially in the Philippines.

I guess the only real way is to set-up some sort of regular contact with a trusted (and reliable) person back home, say three times a week or whatever you feel needed, and if you miss two of your scheduled 'chats' then they have a list of numbers (provided by you) to start ringing and also all your relevant details: Address, Description, any distinguishing features (tattoos, scars, etc).

ReplyQuote
Captain Hook
March 14, 2017 3:33 pm  

Thank you for your response Emu.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register